Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In Memory of Archdeacon Garang




I have only had the pleasure of knowing Archdeacon Joseph Mabior Garang for a little over a week. For the time that I did know him I knew that he loved Christ and his community with all of his heart.

While I was in Sudan, I had many difficult times but also many joyful times. One of the joyful, you could even call it funny, things that happened to me while I was there happened on the last day. July 13 was the last day that I spent with the people in Wangalie. It was on that day that the whole community came out for a celebration. Everyone gathered at the church to bid us farewell. There were many different dances and songs that were performed to praise God.

At the end of the celebration Archdeacon Garang stood up. He spoke to the St. Philips group. He wanted to thank us for coming to Sudan and for teaching them. He then addressed my father (Nick Storm). The Archdeacon said, "we wanted to thank you, Nick, for bringing your family to Sudan. We especially wanted to thank you for bringing your daughters. Everyone wanted to give you a gift to show you our appriciation, but we have nothing to give you. We do, however, have something to give your daughters."

Then, Archdeacon Garang got out two necklaces. They were both made out of black and white beads. My older sister (Danielle) and I both looked at each other, we almost died with laughter. We looked around and saw that many of the people from the community were also laughing. Over the course of the week Danielle and I came to understand what these beads meant and we knew what the Archdeacon was about to do. Danielle and I almost started busting out laughing as the Archdeacon called us forward. Most of the people in our group didn't understand the meaning behind the beads, so as Danielle and I stood up front as the Archdeacon explained. "These beads are very special in our culture. The beads signify that a person is available. They are not married and a man can offer a bride price for the woman's hand in marriage."

This moment was especially humorous to me. Towards the beginning of the week my father almost sold me for 140 cows. Of course my dad was just joking, but the man doing the bidding wasn't. When my dad figured out what was really going on he explained to the man that I was not for sale, but from that moment on I had a running joke. For the rest of the week I refered to the man as "My future husband."

After the Archdeacon had placed the beads around mine and Danielle's necks we took our seats. My face had turned all shades of red and I was crying with laughter. Archdeacon then began to talk to the people of the community. He was giving them words of encouragement. He was telling them to stay strong in Christ and to listen to His words.

Archdeacon Garang was a wonderful man. He had such a passion for Christ and he loved the people of his community with all of his heart, however, good things always do come to an end. On September 1 I got a call from my mom (Elaine). She called to inform me that Archdeacon Garang had been killed on Friday August 28. He had been preaching when a group of armed men came into the church where he was speaking and began shooting. Archdeacon Garang was only one of the people that died that day. He died while he was telling people about God's love. He died living what he believed and showing others how to go and do likewise.

I know that Archdeacon Joseph Mabior Garang is not physically on this earth anymore, but his memory lives on. He lived his life for Christ and he showed others how to do the same. God used him in miraculous ways. He may not be here, but the people whose lives he touched still are. Archdeacon Garang has gone home. How many more people will join him in heaven because of this love for Christ and the people who's lives he planted seeds in?

Let's celebrate the life of Archdeacon Joseph Mabior Garang!

No comments:

Post a Comment